2017 Iron Paw Recipient | Rich Shuler
President and CEO of Shuler Consulting Services and is focused on working with companies in the area of innovation, planning, and execution. Rich has over 40 years of experience in creating and building successful businesses and developing a strong market position for their products and services. He has worked with a variety of businesses, producer organizations, churches, and universities to develop long range strategic plans and organizational structure. Rich also assists businesses in acquiring products and technologies that fit the company’s strategic focus.
Rich has led the turnaround of several struggling companies and created several successful companies. He had the pleasure of assisting with the development of many outstanding leaders that are in key management positions in the industry today. Rich is recognized by his peers as an innovative leader who has successfully lead companies into new markets and differentiated their products and services. Rich feels privileged to have many of his former team members create their own businesses and become very successful. Rich’s family:
• Married 50 years to Sharon Douglas Shuler - met in college
• Two sons: Dr. Scott Shuler (wife Dr. Carrie Shuler) of Portland, Oregon and Joel Shuler (wife Lisiane) of Lavras, Brazil/Austin, TX and has four grandchildren - Aidan (12 yrs.), Nathan (9 yrs.), Ann (5 yrs.), and Luca (4 yrs.)
• Scott owns a successful veterinary practice and Joel has his own coffee roasting business and is a coffee consultant.
• Rich holds a B.S. in Animal Science from Iowa State University and an M.S. in Meat Science from the University of Nebraska.
• He is an Iowa State Animal Science Hall of Fame Winner, holds an Honorary American FFA Degree, and is a member of Gamma Sigma Delta. Rich served on the Iowa 4H Foundation Board, the National FFA Foundation Board, the National Cattlemen’s Foundation Board, and the National Cattlemen's Executive Committee.
• Rich has been very active in the US beef industry and was the Facilitator of Beef Industry Long-Range Planning Team - this team was named by Beef Magazine as one of the "top 40" who have contributed to building today's dynamic and exciting beef industry.
• Board Advisor to ITLogica - an Information Technology services firm
• Board Member of the Kansas City Animal Health Investment Forum Technology Selection Committee 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
• Board Member of the National Cattlemen’s Foundation
• Rich is an Elder and serves as Chairman of the Stewardship team for the Johns Creek Presbyterian Church of Johns Creek, GA. Companies Rich helped to create:
• Pro Vet of Loves Park –established a veterinary animal health distribution business.
• VetLife – initially a startup technology company that later became a pharmaceutical business.
• Ivy Animal Health – President-CEO- took a generic family business and helped develop novel differentiated technologies.
• Founded Ivy Natural Solutions – new business to meet market needs for non-antibiotic alternatives for performance, health, and food safety.
• AgSpan- Analytics, big data company –President-CEO - initially a joint venture between Ivy Animal Health and Friona Industries and later acquired by Ivy - became the largest analytic cattle databases known as the Benchmark Performance Program.
• One of the Founders/Investors - AGL-Vetrax - an on-animal sensor and cloud analytics solution that provides a “voice” for animals.
• Currently President & CEO of Shuler Consulting Services
• Serves as a Board Advisory to ITLogica - an Information Technology services firm
• Serves as Vice President of Casa Brasil Coffees and is an investor in this Austin, Texas upscale coffee roasting company