The Kansas City region is a dominant and growing force in animal health and nutrition. Kansas City’s virtually unparalleled strengths in transportation and distribution add to the significant advantages of doing business here.
KC’s combination of companies, vet schools, research facilities, individualized technical training programs, and transportation capabilities make the Kansas City region a logistical powerhouse.
In the realm of transportation and distribution, KC features a number of key components that make it a top-tier logistical hub:
- The largest rail center by tonnage in the U.S.
- More Foreign Trade Zone space than any other U.S. city
- Located at the intersection of four interstate highways (I-35, I-70, I-29, I-49)
- Top air cargo center in a six-state region
- Located on the largest navigable inland waterway
- The heart of a rail corridor spanning coast-to-coast across the U.S. and extending from Canada to Mexico
A central location makes it easier to serve both livestock and companion animal veterinarians. Also, many of the nation’s major distributors — FedEx, UPS, Lanter and others — maintain a distribution facility in the KC area. In addition, YRC Worldwide and Kansas City Southern Railway are headquartered in KC.
For an indepth look at KC’s transportation and logistical strengths, please visit the web site of Kansas City SmartPort.