Media Coverage

Boehringer launches first cattle vaccine after Merial merger


Sep 27, 2018 - Animal Pharm
By Joseph Harvey

Boehringer Ingelheim has introduced Bovalto Respi Intranasal – a new vaccine against bovine respiratory disease (BRD).

The firm said the vaccine is now registered in most European countries for the active immunization of cattle against bovine respiratory syncytial virus and bovine parainfluenza 3 virus, which are two major pathogens involved in BRD.

BRD is one of the most common cattle diseases worldwide and has a significant economic impact with costs estimated at £43 ($56) per dairy calf and £82 ($108) per suckler calf, according to Boehringer.

"Only 40% of these costs represent vet fees and medicines," the company noted. "The other 60% are hidden costs primarily resulting from mortality and a reduction in growth rates."

In the US, BRD is responsible for more than 40% of feedlot cattle deaths and its total economic impact is estimated to be about $1 billion a year.

Merial launched the Bovalto Respi range in Europe during 2016. While this is the first new Boehringer cattle vaccine to be approved since the Merial transaction, the firm received European authorization for its Ingelvac PCV Flex pig vaccine last year.

BRD vaccine market

Many of the major animal health companies – including Zoetis and Merck Animal Health – also have BRD vaccines commercially available around the world. For example, in 2014, Merck Animal Health launched an intranasal vaccine to deliver pneumonia protection in beef and dairy cattle in the US.

Earlier this year, Virbac launched Curacef Duo in Australia – providing the country with its first combination treatment for BRD. This month, Bayer Animal Health backed its portfolio of BRD products by introducing a new digital tool to support management decisions for the disease.

Reprinted with permission of Animal Pharm News

Share

Search

Archive

News Releases

Inside the Corridor

KC Animal Health Blog

Investment Forum